Is university right for you?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
University is not the right decision for everyone.
When I was deciding which university to go to, the option of NOT going wasn’t something I thought about, because nobody around me thought about it either. We had some talks from people who didn’t go to university when I was in sixth form, however the only one I remember was a man from a supermarket, saying he worked his way up and now he’s at the top. That was great, but I also didn’t know what course I wanted to do.. and I didn’t fancy a degree in all-things-Sainsbury’s.
I am a student, currently in my first year (again), after quitting and reapplying from a different uni last year. I’m loving uni life now! But I didn’t realise what an important decision it was, so here are some things to ask yourself if you’re thinking about going;
- Are you mature enough? Lots of growing up happens at uni. I went to uni when I was too young – I had just turned 18 and had barely entered a club. It all went horribly wrong and I quit and reapplied and now I’m 20 and happy as Larry. Maybe a gap year of working, travelling a bit and taking time to figure out what I wanted would’ve done me good.
- What do you want to do? If your goal involves getting a degree then go to uni. If you know what you want to do and it doesn’t require a degree, consider whether you want all the debt if you don’t need it. If you hate the idea of university and you have enough drive and motivation to get on with a career and manage your money, don’t bother with it.
- If you don’t know what to do, pick something you enjoy. There’s no point suffering for 3 years in a degree just because someone told you the job pays well. You will end up hating the job too. Do something you’re particularly good at, or that you love doing.
- When to go? You can do a degree any time, don’t rush into it! If you need a couple years to figure it out then take the time. Don’t go just because everybody else is, or just because you want the student life. Although, student life is a great way to be sort of in the real world but not completely.. Ideal.
- Where to go? You need to visit a few universities to figure this out. Consider if you want campus based (everything’s all together) or city based (uni buildings spread out over city). Consider if you want to live in a town, city, or countryside. By the way, London is a cool place to live, but tough to be a student in, and – from experience – there is a difference between uni in the North and South.
Do what you feel is right for you! Also, don’t worry about debt, every student ends up with it. (hello student loan).
Good luck figuring it out!